"If there's a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is . . . If the person has violated law, that person will be taken care of."
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Right Wing Myths About The Libby Case
On September 30, 2003, just after the investigation into the outing of CIA officer Valerie Plame Wilson began, President George Bush said:
We now know exactly what he meant. (And someone needs to make sure the video of Bush saying that gets in the hands of every TV network news producer -- as well as every Democratic presidential campaign.)
As the right-wing Wurlitzer cranks up to canonize the Shrub-in-Chief for commuting the sentence of poor, suffering Scooter here's a few talking points (hopefully concise enough for use with friends and family) that may help convey why Libby was the only person prosecuted in the Plame investigation -- and why Dubya's act aided and abetted Libby's obstruction of justice:
Bogus Spin #1: Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald went after Libby even after learning that Richard Armitage had been Bob Novak's "primary source" for his column outing Valerie Plame Wilson as a CIA employee.
Wrong. Armitage made his admission in early October 2003, nearly three months before Fitzgerald was appointed. So it should be clear that Fitzgerald wasn't appointed just to find out who leaked to Novak. In fact, this means that -- even with Armitage's confession in hand -- there was so much evidence of wrongdoing that a longtime GOP loyalist like John Ashcroft felt he had no choice but to recuse himself and allow the appointment of a special counsel.
Bogus Spin #2: Even so, Libby wasn't the only one who leaked about Plame.
Maybe not, but it turns out that every other Bush administration who leaked did so with information they got as a result of Libby's actions. Ari Fleischer testified during Scooter's trial that Libby told him over lunch about Plame working for the CIA, and Karl Rove reportedly told a similar story to the grand jury that indicted Libby. Meanwhile, Armitage and Bushite press flack Dan Bartlett both found out through a State Department memo that was produced in response to questions that Libby had asked a top department official about Wilson's trip to Niger. If Libby (and his boss, Dick Cheney) had been content to reply to Wilson's criticisms on their merits rather than by rattling cages in search of fodder for personal attacks, none of the other officials would ever have been able to leak about Plame.
Bogus Spin #3: The trial was just Libby's word against that of a bunch of reporters.
Although three reporters did testify, they were preceded on the stand by six different government officials who each testified to having conversations with Libby about Joe Wilson's wife before the date when Libby first claimed to have heard it from a reporter. It was these officials' testimony, more than that of the reporters, that convicted Libby.
Bogus Spin #4: Libby was convicted for having a faulty memory.
It's never mentioned in the mainstream media, but Scooter didn't just "forget" telling reporters about Joe Wilson's wife working for the CIA, and deny it when he really had told them.
No, Libby's "faulty memory" caused him not only to deny where he had learned about Plame -- a note produced in the trial showed Vice President Cheney had told him she worked in the Counterproliferation Department of the CIA (where the majority of employees are covert) -- but to invent stories saying he HAD leaked to reporters when he hadn't. He claimed to have been the first to tell Matt Cooper about Wilson's wife, thereby covering up the fact that Karl Rove had done so. And he shielded Fleischer by falsely claiming to have told the Post's Glenn Kessler as well, apparently trying to cover for the Post's October 12, 2003 report that a journalist for the Post (who turned out to be Walter Pincus) had been leaked to -- a news story that was found, with key passages underlined, in Libby's files.
Thus Libby was convicted not just of perjury but of intentionally lying in order to obstruct the investigation. And what George Bush did was intended to make sure he got away with it.
A Election '08 News Site:
For News And Commentary:
For Florida Election News See:
Political Talk For And By Political Junkies
Just Rumors The Rumor Mills
washingtonpost.com: Faces of the Fallen: Florida
Q: The Florida Politics Blog
The Buzz: Florida Politics | Tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times
March On Politics
- ► 2012 (21)
- ► 2010 (56)
- ► 2009 (81)
- ► 2008 (383)
- "A blueprint for instituting martial law in the Un...
- Jeb Bush And John McCain Advisor: Dump Florida Pro...
- Join DFA online at YearlyKos This Week
- Fred Thompson's Campaign Lays a Big: Goose EGG
- 'The Assault on Reason'
- More Bad News For The DLC
- Presidential Hopefuls Diss The DLC
- Florida Poll: GOP Favor "None Of The Above" By 34%...
- "What Would Jeb Do?"
- Florida Straw Poll
- Pfc. Brandon K. Bobb
- Chief Petty Officer Patrick L. Wade
- Rep. Adam Putnam: To Gonzales " Resign"
- Fox Attacks Bloggers!
- Fred Thompson: Swift-boating of Mitt Romney
- Fred Thompson's Campaign in Turmoil
- Romney Fears Youtube Debate
- Gay Border Patrol Officer Fights His Firing
- John Kerry wants YOU to write the script for a Ra...
- Karen Thurman Does Q&A With Florida Netroots
- Republicans talking about cleaning up governmental...
- Another Phony Terror Threat
- Pfc. Juan S. Restrepo
- DNC v. Florida Democratic Party
- House Judiciary holds Bolten, Miers in contempt
- Fred Thompson Falls Flat Before He Leaves The Gate...
- Democrats Now Trusted More than GOP on Ten Out of ...
- Sgt. 1st Class Michael S. Curry
- Clinton Campaign Smacks Down O'Lieley- Video
- Sex, Lies, And Video Tape- And Mayor Naugle
- Schneider To Run Against Jennings?
- Special Session Set for September
- Florida Voters Give Bush The Lowest Approval Ratin...
- Rep. Bob Allen's Ship Has Sailed
- Think it's another quiet hurricane season?
- Mitt Catches S**t Over Hillary-Bashing Sign
- The GOP:Protecting the kids?
- Tammy Faye Bakker- Messner 1942-2007
- What turns young voters off
- Florida Property Insurance Rates Rising Not Going ...
- It Was Bound To Happen: A Youtube Tribute To Bob A...
- Another Gay-bashing, Klan-loving, Pulpit-Slurping,...
- IS Bush Hurting The GOP?
- A 'Normal' Day in Baghdad
- 63 pct say Clinton will win US presidency
- More Bad News For Romney
- Gov. Crist Daily Media Call List Exposed
- Pledge to Protect Florida's Future
- Floridians Still "Storming Mad"
- Generation ChickenHawk : Click to watch video
- McCain Bombing In Southwestern Florida
- Larry Flynt: Sen. Vitter Had 5 Hookers In Louisian...
- Florida Voters Support "Super Homestead Exemption"...
- Bill O'Reilly Attacks The Netroots
- Letter To Mayor Naugle
- Impeachment On The Table: By Dems And Republicans
- Reid to Force Senate Into All-Night Session Tuesda...
- Romney's Hardcore Porn Profits
- Fred Thompson Skirts The Rules, Delays Filing For ...
- House Democrats, Applaud Gov. Crist on Green House...
- Sen. Martinez At 23 Approval
- Governor Crist Signs Executive Orders to Reduce Gr...
- A Florida State Rep Who Allegedly Goes Down Cheap ...
- Greer And Rubio Stand Behind Rep. Allen
- Rep Bob Allen's Arrest Report
- Florida Summit on Global Climate Change: Live Webc...
- Message From Gov. Charlie Crist, On the Enviroment...
- Last night's town hall meeting to deal with Ft. La...
- Author of: Lewd and Lecivious Behavior Act: Buste...
- State Rep. Allen leaves Brevard County Jail
- Michael Moore vs Sanjay Gupta
- Tide May Be Turning on Anti-Gay Amendments
- Michael Moore demands apology from Wolf Blitzer
- Lauderdale Mayor Refuses to Apologize
- Wasserman Schultz Takes Burton To The WoodShed
- Michael Moore demands apology from Wolf Blitzer
- Sen. Vitter On DC Madam's Phone List
- Flippin Mitt Lectures on Marketing What We Stand...
- GLBT Groups Demand Mayor Naugle publicly apologize...
- More Evidence Of Voter Caging
- 911 conspiracy theories goes mainstream
- NOBODY MARCHED TO IMPEACH BILL CLINTON!
- Hispanic Voters Prefer Clinton to Giuliani in Hypo...
- Voter Registration Lessons From Florida
- Army Pvt. Daniel Agami
- Iraq bomb kills a beloved GI From Broward
- Congressman Tim Mahoney Needs Your Help
- Meanwhile Back In LaDeDa
- Naugle's homophobic toilet
- Gov. Crist Flips Off The Florida Nut Jobs
- Bogdanoff Gets Republican Challenger
- Fred Thompson: Pro-Choice - The Video
- Rep Robert Wexler: Censure Bush
- Help! Flush Mayor Naugle
- Another Broward Soldier Killed
- Many Democratic leaders are fuming over a Miami He...
- Independent Voters Swing Dems' Way
- Fred Thompson: Watergate Investigator or White Hou...
- PIP Timing
- The Death Of PIP Part II
- About That Flag You Have In Your Hand
- Right Wing Myths About The Libby Case
- Coddling Criminals
- just 21% of Americans agree with President Bush
- Libby Was Mark Rich's Attorney
- The Wrong Track is The Right Tract
- ▼ July (106)
...with web-based news readers. Click your choice below:
...with other readers:
Embed this content on your site
Embed with: SpringWidgets